Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 26 - Practice

They say practice makes perfect. I certainly hope so.
If you read yesterday's blog, you realize that I went fishing yesterday. It was a day that brought about some things that I need to work on. Some of the things that need work on can only be achieved on the stream (such as recognizing fish lies). Others can be done at home.

I have to say that for the most part I'm a pretty decent caster. I can get my line where I want for the most part without too much difficulty. However, I noticed that I need to work on my quick target changes.

Yesterday, I would be fishing a particular run. Over and over I would do the same cast working the run as best I could. Then, out of the blue a giant brown trout would leap behind and twenty feet to my left. I would quickly pickup and change targets. And that's where my problems would occur.

If my target is within a cone of 30 degrees or so from each other, I might be OK. It is when I have to drastically change directions that difficulties occur. When I pick up the line, turn, and cast I have a few problems. Three things usually occur: I'm way off target, I overshoot the target, or I undershoot my target with the line piling up in a big mess. Whatever the outcome, it isn't spelled success.

So, today I spent some time in the back yard with my Echo Micro Practice Rod in hand. I have a red disc putter that I used for my primary target. It was straight ahead of me (about 20-30 feet). Of to my left is an old stump cut close to the ground, that was my second target. I would cast a couple of times to the disc, and then suddenly change targets. I did this about 10-15 minutes.

Here's what I learned: 1) I'm not close to perfecting this. 2) That I need to wait for the rod to load behind me. I realized that in my eagerness to hit the second target as fast as possible, I don't wait like I should. Normally, I don't have this problem. However, when I twist my body the tug isn't coming from the place I normally expect it to come, which I guess throws off my timing.

So that will be my focus for the next couple of practice sessions. If I can do this consistently well in the backyard, my hope is that it will translate to the stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment