Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 69 - The Internet

So, I have something to say... it's a little embarrassing... OK, here goes... (long pause) I love YouTube. Phew!! Glad I got that off my chest, the guilt was eating me up inside.

Unlike other hockey hosers, who watch stupid stuff like dancing hamsters and David after the dentist, I prefer to watch fly fishing related videos. The web is full of crazy people (like me), who have video cameras (unlike me), and have a passion for fly fishing (like me).

When I'm not busy filling out yet another application on line for a job, playing Fish Wrangler on Facebook, or writing this blog, I'm probably checking out some fly fishing video on YouTube. I do swing towards fly tying also.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm a fly angler from the School of Hard Knocks. As such, without a fly fishing mentor, I am forced to observe other anglers to pick up new tricks, tactics, or fly patterns. Good form and polite manners keep me from observing anglers in the wild, so opt for the less invasive approach by watching on the Internet.

Lately, I've been interested in polish woven nymphs. I first learned about them in a DVD that I received a couple years ago that came in a British fly magazine. The technique is a little more difficult, and I've misplaced the DVD (I've moved twice since I received it). So going to YouTube, I typed in the search engine Polish Woven Nymph. Sure enough, I found what I was looking for.



But, my search doesn't end there. Noooo... afterwards, I follow the rabbit trails. After the video plays, a couple of "related" videos are suggested. Finding one that looks interesting, I click that one. After watching, another suggestion and another click. Kind of like the instructions for shampoo (Lather, Rinse, Repeat).

After 30 minutes of this, I've now gleaned new information. I've learned that some people use super glue to stop their lead from moving on them. I wonder what in the world is Uni-Stretch and where do I find some? And finally, whip finishing fine wire is an option to secure it quickly and easily (I've lately been prone to wrap the wire 2-3 times over itself and then securing it with thread). I tell you, learning new things every time I watch a video.

(Pssst! I have another confession to make. I didn't know how to embed YouTube videos into Blogger. After a quick YouTube search, I learned and wanted to give it a try. Thanks for bearing with.)

No comments:

Post a Comment