Monday, November 30, 2009

Day 85 - Work for you?

Tonight I was reading an article in the latest Fly Fisherman magazine (don't worry I'm not going to vent about stupid submissions). The author was talking about how the Humpy was one of his favorite flies and how it normally produces for him. I have to be honest, I've never been able to produce fish with a Humpy pattern. For that matter, I haven't been able to produce with any regularity with an Adams, a Hendrickson, or even a San Juan Worm.

This got me thinking, how can these patterns work for other people but not for me? I have a friend here in North Carolina who favors Wooly Buggers. I haven't been able to produce on that pattern either. Nevertheless, he is able to pull out some decent sized fish. It works for him. Why is that?

Could it be that he is naturally inclined to have the skill set that is required to fish this pattern? Does he have a genetic coding that allows him to twitch, rip, or strip the fly in such a way that it triggers a must eat attitude? Or is it that he prefers the pattern, which in turn gives him confidence to fish the pattern effectively? Did the chicken come before the egg?

I have a few patterns in my fly box that I favor more than other flies. In no particular order they are: Pink Squirrel, Hare's Ear Nymph, Copper John, Gabriel's Golden Trumpet, and an imitation caddis pattern that I've forgotten the name of. Of course there are various other patterns in my box that I've been able to produce fish with. An Elk Hair Caddis will always be a favorite, for no other reason than it was the first fly that I caught a trout with. The Y2K has been producing trout this season for me and my wife, so it will have a place in my heart.

So, back to the point: why do these popular patterns not work for me? Also, as a side note, do they work for you? I've had moderate success with BWO (Blue Winged Olive) patterns. Besides that one trout in the mountain lake, I've never caught a trout on a Scud pattern. And I don't believe I've ever thrown a hopper style pattern before with any success. Am I just missing the seasons for these patterns or am I genetically coded for nymph patterns?

1 comment:

  1. It's all about confidence. I am a dedicated fan of Prince nymphs, SJ Worms, P Tails, BIG bugger type flies, EH Caddis, Stimmi's. Can't catch a cold with Hare's Ears, midges, or leeches.

    But I DO love Humpies on small streams!!

    Wolfy

    ReplyDelete