Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 106 - Man's Best Friend (and Woman's too)

As a heads up, I've been toying with the idea of moving to a different blogging service. While I like the use of blogger.com, I think the use of Word Press may offer me some better opportunities in the future. Currently I'm posting on both sites, but I think by the end of the year I will be using strictly Word Press. If you'd like, you can visit the new site at: http://www.365flyfish.wordpress.com/



The other day I was reading a friend's tweet about how his dog is getting old and how its health is declining. He wanted to take his lab out one last time with him fishing before he couldn't anymore. His post the next day said that his dog was too tired and lacked the energy to do so. I'm saddened by this as the Wonderpup named Nash is my constant companion.

When I was searching out undergrad programs, I ended up talking to the professor for the Outdoor Leadership program at Colorado Christian University. After he laid out the coursework to me, he asked some questions about my own personal experiences in the outdoors. I told him that my family was big into hunting and fishing, and that I had made Eagle Scout in 1993. I asked him what the hunting was like in Colorado and he said that it was good if you knew where to go, however just recently he suffered a great loss as his hunting dog had to be put down. He admitted that he wasn't ashamed to say that he cried.

While reading a blog entry from Up'North Maine Fly Casting a few days ago, I noticed that he defended his decision to call his black lab his best friend. He made a pretty good point saying that if you want the title you have to sit at the end of his driveway every afternoon and wait for him to come home, follow him around all day just because, sleep on his feet to keep them warm, and never complain when he takes you fly fishing.

My first dog was an English Springer Spaniel named Max. There are stories that my family shares about how loyal and protective this dog was. Later, after Max had died, my family acquired a Chocolate Lab/German Shorthair puppy. He was named Bear, and was the most gentle animal that I ever had the pleasure of knowing and it was a sad day in the Campbell household when the decision to euthanize Bear had to be made. This past March, my wife and I got the Wonderpup. He's been at my side ever since then, and I can't imagine not having him in my life. His excitement over car rides, chasing cats, and chasing balls surprises me on a daily basis.

As a sportsman (or woman) a dog is so much more than just the family pet. They transcend into soul companions, sharing our excitement, our exploration, and our love. They humbly show their loyalty to us a thousand times over, and all they ask in return is our love. To be honest, I'm not skilled in enough in verse to fully convey what I am trying to impart on you. My words fall short of meaning, and I just end up tripping all over the place. That said, I will leave you a quote from the movie "Marley & Me".

A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

1 comment:

  1. It feels like your heart is bursting when you know you can't do anything more for them. The countless days of being there for you at the door flash by in your mind in seconds. Sometimes I feel selfish wanting her to stay but I know when I look at her, she is not who she was. I am now wrestling with the idea of what should I do? Part of me says, let her go, the other side says, let her go on her own. I guess I must be responsible and do whats right. I will have to place a call tomorrow I am sure the rest of my life I will always wonder if I should have waited on. My faith tells me I will see her again for a first of many trips...

    Thanks for this post Austin, it helped ease my mind and let me be somewhere else for a moment, cheers my friend.

    ReplyDelete