Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 98 - Holy Grail

As a heads up, I've been toying with the idea of moving to a different blogging service. While I like the use of blogger.com, I think the use of Word Press may offer me some better opportunities in the future. Currently I'm posting on both sites, but I think by the end of the year I will be using strictly Word Press. If you'd like, you can visit the new site at: www.365flyfish.wordpress.com

I stopped by the fly shop to pick up some additional materials and a fly box for a friend. The manager of the fly fishing section happened to be there, and we ended up exchanging phone numbers. He's got a better setup then I do for fly tying, and he happens to live in the neighborhood. The plan is to meet up and tie some patterns in the future.

It seems lately that I can't get to the stream as much as I'd like. However, I've noticed that I've kicked up my fly tying a notch. I've now tied more in the last weekend than I've tied all year (well, maybe not but pretty close). Most of what I've tied has been with the intent of selling to friends.

Over the last few weeks I've tied over 3 dozen Slumpbusters in size 6-8, close to two dozen Pink Squirrels size 12-18, about 2 dozen Y2K size 14-18, a dozen Zebra Midges, half dozen Blood Worms size 24, and quite a few patterns that I've experimented with. I've tied with thread, beads, holographic braid, dubbing, wire, peacock herl, partridge feathers, zonkers (rabbit strips), non-lead wire, pheasant tail, goose biots, and even a condom or two.

I've found this increased time at the vise to be somewhat relaxing. I sit down, listen to some classic rock, and crank out flies. My learning curve has been greatly accelerated the last few weeks and I'm starting to be able to figure out a few tricks of my own which give my flies a personal distinctiveness. I imagine that all fly tyers have their secrets which are sort of a signature to that tier. These nuances can be that you always cover the hook shank with thread, whip finish the fly with two sets of five turns, double the material around the thread to multiply the number of tail, dub with no wax, or help stand up your parachute post by wrapping under the post. The end result is uniquely you.

Maybe I've been doing this tying as a way to help find the Holy Grail of Flies. I know some of you out there have found your Holy Grail of Flies. Someone mentioned to me recently that the Holy Grail is the Grey Ghost, a classic salmon/steelhead pattern. It definitely is something to look at, and it may be fun to tie. I'll give it a try, but I have a hunch that it may not be the pattern for me.

I'd be interested in hearing what your Holy Grail Fly is. I'd be willing to try just about any pattern and would be willing to discuss it here on the blog. So, go on and submit a comment below and let's get things rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment