Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 107 - Big Things Happening

I apologize everyone. The blog is moving one more time. I ended up getting my own domain and started the switch to www.365flyfish.com. This will be the new site and after the first of the year, this site will no longer be updated. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, but in the end I think it will prove to be the better decision. Thank you.

A good portion of my day was spent right here in this office. I spent a great amount of time on my cell phone today to call AT&T that my service was out. A few hours later, I was back on the phone to complain that my Internet service was down. The end result was that somebody had cut a cable and hundreds of people were experiencing outages. It just seemed odd that one was down while the other worked. The other part of my day was spent shoveling the last bit of snow off my driveway and walkway, installing a vent hose to my dryer, vacuuming, and otherwise getting ready for Christmas.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I now own my domain. That's right, www.365flyfish.com is completely mine. That means you can expect some big things to happen in the next few weeks. Part of that means that the website will be a little shaky for the next couple of days while I work out some of the bugs, but it is up and running. I'm sorry to do this one more time, but the move is official.

Now that the news has been updated, let's talk about fishing.

A couple of days ago I told you that I was starting to read the book on how to catch big trophy trout. It's not that I want to catch the uber trout, but I'd like to add some heft to my catches. Something that might bend the pole a little more if you know what I mean. Anyway, the first chapter essentially talks about how go where the fish are.

Now that seems obvious and the author even states that. However, since I'm not catching big trout on a regular basis, it must mean that I'm doing something wrong. Therefore, I read the chapter with more student and less skepticism. The chapter goes on to talk about the different types of body of water: oligotrophic, mesotrophic, and eutrophic. It also proceeds to talk in great length the need to control fish introduction into water, as certain fish are genetically coded to eat different biomass.

The one thing that truly "clicked" with me is that trout switch to different food types after a certain size. I did not know this. According to the author, the Lake Michigan Brown Trout Diet changes around 11.8 inches. Brown trout over 11.8 inches basically stop eating invertebrates and move primarily towards Alewife (a sort of minnow type fish). Now this may not hold true over all regions and bodies of water, however it does give me something to think about. Especially when the average trout that I catch is around 11 inches or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment