Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 94 - Strange How Life Works

As a heads up, I've been toying with the idea of moving to a different blogging service. While I like the use of blogger.com, I think the use of Word Press may offer me some better opportunities in the future. Currently I'm posting on both sites, but I think by the end of the year I will be using strictly Word Press. If you'd like, you can visit the new site at: www.365flyfish.wordpress.com

It is late, and I'll keep this short.

It's strange how life can work out sometimes. This evening I was at M'Coul's Pub in downtown Greensboro with the young adult crew. One of the ladies invited her cousin to join us this evening. She had told me earlier in the week that one of them had just come back from New Zealand and was thinking about attending grad school in the area. I was excited to meet him as he might be able to tell me if the myths of huge trout below the equator truly exist. Alas, he wasn't an angler and couldn't substantiate the hearsay.

Our brief conversation included a comment by him that said that he had lived in Montana and New Zealand and had never fished. My angling heart cringed when I heard this. Here he has lived in two of the largest Mecca's of fly fishing lore and he never wet a line. I on the other hand lived in Iowa and Minnesota and now central North Carolina and I can't find a decent stream without having to drive a couple of hours. A brief point in my life did allow me to be relatively close to some good streams in Denver, but I was too green and didn't know any better.

I guess this just goes to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I mean, I viewed this gentleman through an angler's perception and thought a man living in Montana and New Zealand would have great epic tales of giant trout. I was presumptuous and assumed my lifestyle would have been his. Lesson learned, and I will not judge a book by its cover again (unless it has a picture of a trout on it).

No comments:

Post a Comment