Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 91 - Downward Dog?

As is the latest custom in the last few week, I ended up going out for lunch with some of the young adults from church. We ended up going to Harris Teeter for lunch and then spent the next hour and a half socializing. One of the guys that was there teaches yoga and we talked for a little bit about maybe getting me to participate in some of his classes.

Now if you've seen my photo, you'd have to admit that I'm not what you think of when you picture someone practicing yoga. I'm not very lithe anymore, and I prefer meat and potatoes to tofu and veggies. However, I'm willing to break through the stereotype if it translates to better performance on the stream.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a thing about yoga. I know a few basic postures that the Wii Fit taught me, and that there is a posture called Downward Dog. I also know that a large portion of yoga is based around breathing correctly, flexibility, and meditation. It is those three benefits that I think can directly improve my fly fishing abilities.

I get the idea of breathing, I've been doing it for almost 35 years. However, breathing from the depths of my body I don't do. If I understand things correctly, it is this breathing that can slow down the nervous energy, ground a person, and allow a person to relax. And as my fellow anglers know, you cast better when you are at ease versus uptight and frustrated.

Flexibility, huh... I can see that as more of a survival thing. I'm sure that it can play some importance in the skill arena of casting, but I think it will probably play more out in the stream. I mean when you are wading in the stream, and the current is pushing you, and the rocks are slippery... you can see where I'm going with this. Of course, the more I think about it, flexibility might not be the correct choice of words. Maybe it should be body aware. Aware of what your body is doing. That might play a better role in casting and maneuvering in a stream.

Finally, meditation is such an intricate part of fly fishing that it makes sense. I'm sure not everyone would think that fly fishing is sort of a meditation, but when you realize that you are emptying yourself of all thoughts other than fly fishing, it kind of makes sense. So, if I can better enter a meditative state, then it makes sense that I can turn on the fly fishing thinking faster, which hopefully means more fish.

And so, I think I'll have to break out and purchase a pair of sweat pants and a yoga mat in the next few weeks. Who knows, maybe I'll even try tofu and eat more veggies. Although, I wouldn't count on it.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done :) lol. Can't wait to see how it goes! (Maybe I'll even get some yoga time in soon!)

    ReplyDelete